21 March 2009

Saturday Morning Cartoons

"I'll tell ya the truth, Dad.  I wasn't good at it right away so I quit.  I hope you're not mad." - Bart Simpson
"Son, come here, heh heh heh.  Of course I'm not mad.  If something's hard to do then it's not worth doing.  You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle, and we'll go inside and watch TV." - Homer Simpson
"What's on?" - Bart Simpson
"It doesn't matter." - Homer Simpson

I love the above exchange, it's Homer and Bart at their best.  Homer is a low-give-a-shit father; Bart is a low-give-a-shit son; and together they couldn't care less.  Even better, this moment is played for sweetness, like it's a life affirming moment for Homer to encourage his son to quit music and watch television.  None of this Team Mischief crap.  As a bonus, there are three potential episode plots contained in that one quote.  One of them happened, but the other two are just discarded because, in the before time, in the long long ago, The Simpsons overflowed with ideas.  

No comments:

Post a Comment